Saturday, May 8, 2010

Olive Varieties in the Grove

Here at CM we have around 500 trees of which 95% are moraiolo and the other 5% are split between leccino and frantoio. These are the classic Umbrian olive varietals.

The moraiolo is sterile and so needs to be planted with polinators such as leccino and frantoio but is very hardy.

Some newer groves are being planted with Pendolino and this is a great polinator and has a high fruit yield.

All of these are for oil production only and are not eating varieties. The fruit is extremely bitter and leaves a quite nasty taste in the mouth if eaten. The oil however, is fruity and strong flavoured.

No comments:

Post a Comment