Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Know your pulses


These are Roveia, a type of wild pea, that have recently been rediscovered and cultivated again.

I made a soup with them last night which we had today for lunch which was very nice indeed. After soaking them overnight in water and then for an hour in salted water I proceeded thus.

I put a good dose of Casa Margherita extra virgin olive oil in a saucepan and then added onions, garlic, some leek and a sausage as I was going to use a vegetable stock but wanted a meaty taste to the dish. Next I added the stock and some tomato passata and left to simmer slowly for about an hour. It was left overnight as this improves the taste further still.

I must admit I didn't do this, but to serve it on top of some bruschetta that had been rubbed with garlic and soaked in olive oil would have been great. It was however great on it's own.

No comments:

Post a Comment